Guest posting, also known as Guest Blogging, involves writing for another company’s website or blog. It is the practice of producing content for others besides yourself. Guest bloggers generally write for websites that are a part of their industries to invite traffic back to their websites, boost brand credibility and awareness, and build relationships with the industry peer group. It is an effective way of marketing your products and services and an opportunity for you to do the same for others by allowing them a slot for guest posting on your website. Let’s decode the importance of Guest Posting, one of the top SEO strategies in the digital market.
Why should your business do Guest Posting?
1. Guest posting widens your reach.
It allows you to spread information about the way you conduct business and what your products or services are about. You can locate your brand in different corners of the internet cost-effectively and drive traffic to your end that might not have appeared otherwise by writing for a space that caters to a similar audience. Those who did not know of your brand earlier might learn about it from a credible source (where you choose to guest post); thus increasing your brand visibility.
2. Guest posting establishes your expertise as a thought leader in the industry.
When you publish guest posts on other blogs/websites, you reach out to a well-managed pool of readers. If they enjoy your content or become interested in your brand, they will probably reach out to you in one way or another, which will increase your website traffic. That establishes your business as an expert source and influences their decision to engage with you for the better. To have that kind of impact, you should pay attention to writing about newer ideas and experiences than the readership is already used to, bringing something new to the table.
Someone choosing to publish your work in their space says a lot about the quality of the work you produce; guest posting is a beautiful way to achieve that validation. It increases your authority as an individual (or a team) and your domain. The credibility is met with increased traffic and brand awareness.
3. Guest posting builds your online reputation.
A widely used search engine, Google, functions on three major ranking factors: expertise, authority, and trust. It can help put you on the list of those trusted as an authority based on the number of mentions of your brand and website across the web. Therefore, writing for other websites and establishing your authority through that instils trust.
4. Guest posting can help you in gaining backlinks.
Guest page is an off-page SEO tactic. It drives organic traffic to your blog through the links curated by the websites you are writing for. These backlinks boost your search engine rankings, and if you write for popular guest blogs or well-established domains, you will see a spike in your traffic. Guest posting backlinks are also cost-effective because, in most cases, you do not pay the other websites to generate a link to your guest post. Hence, you acquire new links without spending any money. It also creates a space for authenticity when you earn a spot on a site with a large following, and it becomes a part of your portfolio.
5. Guest posting helps you control how your business is presented.
If someone writes about you, they articulate their perspective. When you do a guest post for your business, products, or services, you write what you want to tell the readers or potential buyers. Because you know exactly what will be published, you can control how it will be presented, which adds an edge to your content.
What are the factors you should consider while Guest Posting?
- It is crucial to choose suitable target sites when guest posting. Are they providing you with backlinks? Do they resonate with your expertise? Do they have good domain authority? These are some of the questions you can ask yourself and them.
- If there is a website with many requirements, chances are your guest post will benefit your business. Quality of both your content and the website you are writing for matters tremendously for reaping benefits.
- Even though backlinks are an added advantage to guest posting, you should know that is not its primary function. Guest posting focuses more on increasing your brand awareness and building your brand by establishing your expertise in your niche.
- Guest Posting also needs consistency to deliver results. Occasional guest posting is not a solution to achieving a spike in numbers or a higher domain rank. The more quality and consistency you bring to your content, the better the ROI. Over 60% of bloggers write one to five guest posts per month, and 3% of bloggers write over hundred guest posts per month. Find a balance.
- You should avoid guest post farm. Now, these are websites that function solely on guest posting and sell the spot to those who pay for it. This is where research plays a crucial role.
- To approach a site for a guest post, you should put extra care into the pitching email by personalising it.
- If you’re a fairly new business, guest posting is worth your time and investment. Having backlinks from authoritative sites in the initial phase of your journey will be an effective way to increase your domain authority. It is also a great way of networking with your industry professionals.
- One way to know if your guest post is worth it is by asking yourself whether you would post it on your blog page.
- Know that you will hear a ‘no’ a lot many times than you will hear a ‘yes.’ Rejection is a part of the process, but eventually, you will find your match and the right site for guest posting along with it.
- Be clear about what you are looking for and what you want to showcase in your writing. Are you promoting your work culture? Is there a service you want to bring to the table? Or a product that needs to be put out to the public?
When to pitch a guest post to the website you want to write for?
There are some ways to know when the chances of a website accepting a guest post are higher than at other times, such as
- If there is a mention of your business in one of their social media posts or blogs.
- If the website advertises that, they are open to guest posts.
- If you see them publishing guest posts, you can pitch yours too.
What does good-quality guest blogging look like?
The key to writing a good-quality guest blog is to understand that it is meant to add value to your readers and is not just an advertisement. About 79% of editors say guest blogging content is too promotional. In other words, your guest posts should educate your reader, not promote your product or service.
Here are a few things to keep in mind to enhance your guest’s post strategy:
- Try and include at least one relevant internal link to the company’s previous blog posts as part of your guest post. It is a small gesture, but it shows you have done your research and are focused on a healthy collaboration that benefits all.
- Conclude your guest blogs with a call-to-action, asking the readers to engage with the content by leaving comments. The more people will comment and share your blog, the better would be the SEO results.
- Social media is an essential tool for spreading the word about your work. Remember to publicise your guest blog post on your own social media handles. It is a nice gesture for those you are writing for, but it will also generate word about your guest post and business. Reposting on social media or promoting it there is equivalent to expressing gratitude to someone providing you with a space to publish your content.
- Google Analytics is beneficial for tracking how much traffic is generated through your guest posts. Your insights will help you understand what your readers are looking for.
Should your website provide a space for guest posting?
Guest blogging is a two-way street. If you are writing for someone else and are trying to maintain consistency, you will be short on time to write for your blog. You can send an invite to the website you wrote for to write for your blog as well.
Not only will this keep your content fresh, but it will also establish a healthy partnership. Your audience will have newer perspectives to engage with, and your guest posts will also have newer readers registering with you. Over 62.96% of readers perceive blogs with multiple authors to be more credible.
In a nutshell, there is no doubt that businesses looking to grow through their online presence need to understand the importance of guest posting. Guest posting on reputable websites is an effective way to market your products and services. Your business gains credibility, and you foster new relationships. It is an excellent way to write in your niche from different perspectives, for different readers, and escape the monotony of writing in a single tone once in a while.